- Web Novel
This article contains information from both the light novels and web novels. Editors are invited to relocate WN content to Rank (Web Novel).
Both monsters and adventurers are ranked from F to A. Monsters who are in the upper echelon of their rank have a "+" attached while those in the lower echelon have a "-" attached. Otherworlder Grand Master Yuuki Kagurazaka established this ranking system in place of the previous 4 step Novice -> Beginner -> Intermediate -> Advanced system.
After the introduction of the letter based ranking system, Novice was replaced with F, Beginner with E, and Intermediate with D. Meanwhile, those who were previously categorized as Advanced were split further into C, B, and A. Doing so distinguished the stronger from the strong. Thus, due to the introduction of the new system, the number of deaths due to fighting stronger than expected monsters greatly decreased.
The new ranking system is built on the inference that a party of adventurers is taking down a single monster of the same rank. For example, if adventures are going to hunt a rank B+ monster, multiple rank B+ adventurers are needed (At least 3 people). If 10 adventurers with rank B tried to subdue it, even if they were successful, there would surely be casualties. Furthermore, just because a sighting was confirmed doesn't mean that the subjugation can begin immediately. Normally, not many rank B+ adventurers stay at the frontier; the problem is that monsters appear too frequently.
The ogre village, though perhaps it was too small to call it that, only housed 300 ogres (300 B rank monsters). That is the size of a country's knight order. If you are planning on subjugating such a village with rank B- knights, you'd need about 3,000 of them.
A Rank and above humans are considered "Champions" by Human countries.
B Rank and below adventurers aren't famous enough to be known outside their country's borders.
In the case of most monsters, the amount of Magicules is the only measurement scale for obtaining a Rank. However monsters with lower magicule storages like Hakurou, who should only be at the level of regular A Rank, manages to reach Special A Rank for the standards of human adventurers by proficiency with the sword alone. For the higher ranks of monsters, a monster's level of threat is more important than their raw power. That's why Charybdis, despite having Disaster-class (Rank S) magicule capacity, is only considered a "Special A Rank", since its lack of intelligence makes it nothing more than a mad beast.
Differences about Ranks between Human and Monster
It should be noted, however, that this measurement system is flawed and there are many ways for someone to be actually stronger than their Rank suggests, for example, intelligent monsters can learn human "Arts" or possess Skills that grant them more effective battlepower than a greater Magicule Capacity would grant. On the other hand, humans can become Sages or Magic-borns and make contracts with Spirits. Otherworlder humans also got their own advantages, such as Skills (possibly even Unique Skills) or Magicule levels that regular humans can't achieve normally.
For Rank A and above, monster ranks are evaluated based on for their ability to threaten civilisations rather than just their individual magicule amount. There are 4 threat levels.
- A Rank (A級), also known as Hazard-class (
- A threat that could potentially cause widespread damage to a single town or region.
- Includes the Ranks A+, A & A-
- Special A Rank (特A級), also known as Calamity-class (
- A threat that could topple a nation's government, caused by the maneuvering of high-level magic-born and demons.
- S Rank (S級), also known as Disaster-class (
- Normally applied to demon lords. Small nations would have no chance against such a threat, and a larger one would need to expend all its resources to handle it.
- Just being a Demon Lord Seed by itself is not enough to qualify for Disaster-class, as for example Orc Disaster Geld, only advanced from Hazard-class as Orc Lord to Calamity-class as Orc Disaster. However being accepted into the Ten Great Demon Lords or later Eight Star Demon Lords does immdietly warrant the newcomer to the "Demon Lords' club" to be considered S Rank.
- Special S Rank (特S級), also known as Catastrophe-class (
- This could be applied to some demon lords, as well as dragons and their kin, and reflected the kind of threat that no single nation could handle. It would require international cooperation to give the human race even a chance at survival.
Rimuru noted that if there are only three stages, the gap between each stage should be large, to which it was revealed to him that there exists a rare "Catastrophe" class. But because there are so few people in that rank, everybody pretends that it doesn't exist.
Ranks of Notable Individuals
- Hazard-class: Despite Rimuru's early evaluation of himself as someone who is supposedly B Rank, he was actually already at A Rank when he was reincarnated as a Slime, even before being named.
- Calamity-class: After being named by Veldora, and predating several monsters, Rimuru already reached a magicule level that should at least be comparable to Ifrit, who was a Calamity-class himself at that time. After predating Orc Disaster Geld, Rimuru already was above so-called "Sub-Demon Lords" like Phobio, but not Disaster-class yet.
- Disaster-class: Either after predating Charybdis or the Sky Dragon, Rimuru reached Disaster-class. That is proven when Razen, a credible source as far as threat levels go, evaluates Rimuru as such. However it's unknown, when exactly Rimuru was officially recognized as a Disaster-class threat by humanity as a whole.
- Calamity-class: After fusing with Shizue, Ifrit was subject to the effects of Shizue's Unique Skill Degenerate, causing Ifrit, a Greater Flame Spirit, to become a half-spirit, half-monster "Fire Giant". In this form, Ifrit by himself was considered a Calamity-class threat. However it's likely that being fully unleashed under Shizue's control during her prime, he was probably even stronger than when he is in control instead.
- Hazard-class: During Rimuru's first fight with Hinata, Rimuru called upon Ifrit within his stomach and transformed Ifrit from Fire Giant form back into Full Spirit form. That seems to have caused Ifrit's threat level to have fallen to Hazard-class (A+ Rank).
- ↑ LN Volume 4: Chapter 5
- ↑ LN Volume 3: Chapter 1
- ↑ Manga Volume 1: Veldora's Slime Observation Journal: A Fateful Meeting
- ↑ LN Volume 5: Chapter 4, note that YenPress made a mistranslation here, and incorrectly refered to Rimuru as "Calamity-class", however the RAW version definitly says Disaster-class (
- ↑ LN Volume 8.5: Databook